Thank you to all that participated in the Impact Survey. Willoughby-Eastlake Public Library conducted the survey to better understand how our community uses and benefits from free access to computers and the Internet at the library.
The library offers 73 computers, wireless Internet, and assistance for all members of our community. Of the survey respondents who reported visiting the library in the past year, 79% used a public access computer or the library’s wireless network during their visits. Highlights from the survey include:
- 34% of public technology users indicated they had used public access technology for employment needs.
- 28% of users searched for a job online.
- 23% applied for a job by submitting a résumé or filling out an online job application.
- 28% of public technology users used public technology for educational activities.
- 17% of users completed coursework or homework using public access technology.
- 36% of public technology users used library technology to get information on health and wellness topics.
- 23% of users reported learning about diet or nutrition; of those, 24% made a change to their diet.
- 47% of public technology users reported using library resources to stay in touch with family and friends and to build and maintain social networks.
68% of public access technology users also received help from a librarian when using the computers or Internet at the library. Of those users, 71% have access to the Internet at home, school, or work but still choose to use the library’s technology. This shows the library offers critical resources and services even as people increasingly have their own Internet connections and devices.