Ready, Set Read! Volunteer
Location: Eastlake and Willowick Public Libraries
Immediate Supervisor: Building Manager
PURPOSE OF THIS POSITION: The Ready, Set, Read! Program provides students with retired/current teachers who can help them improve their reading and comprehension skills. Ready, Set, Read! Volunteers assist students in grades 1 – 3 with their reading skills.
- Listen as student reads aloud and ask questions to promote reading comprehension
- Assist student in selecting books/materials to read
- Help set up and supervise snack time
- Prepare program activities (worksheets, short videos, games, crafts, etc.) with other Ready, Set, Read!
- Support the education and enrichment of the students by organizing and implementing supplementary materials for student use, assisting with crafts, providing computer support, and related tasks, as requested by their immediate supervisor or the HR Coordinator.
- Advanced literacy skills
- Knowledge of elementary reading skill levels
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to respond appropriately to patrons while establishing a good rapport
- Willingness and desire to work with students
- Ability to work with several students at a time
- Adaptable to helping children using methods by which they have been taught
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to use a personal computer (familiar with Windows and Apple software). Familiarity with Microsoft Office products and Internet searching skills
- Ability to pass a background check
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Volunteers in this position should be excellent communicators, be comfortable working with youth ages 5 – 10, and demonstrate patience and a concern for students and their educational needs. Previous experience teaching is preferred.