Willoughby-Eastlake Public Library to Go Fine Free on February 14th
On February 14th, the Willoughby-Eastlake Public will go fine free on nearly all Willoughby-Eastlake Public Library items.
At Willoughby-Eastlake Public Library, our goal is to make it as easy as possible for area residents to enjoy materials and services that we offer. We have recognized that assessing monetary fines is not the most effective way to manage borrowing periods, nor is it fair to patrons with limited incomes. We have a new policy that will reduce a barrier to access, while also including measures to protect library materials, said Eric Linderman, Deputy Director.
This change to the circulation policy was approved by the Library’s board of trustees in December 2018. This amendment will remove overdue fines for most of the materials that we circulate to the public. It should be emphasized that only overdue fines are being affected by this policy change. Charges for lost materials will still be assessed. Under the new policy, most Willoughby-Eastlake Public Library items will be exempt from overdue fines, except for a few expensive electronic items that we circulate, including internet hotspots and tablets.
With the easing of monetary fines, it is necessary to tighten up on other restrictions that deter patrons from exceeding the length of borrowing periods. The best way to enforce borrowing policy, without charging money, is to block library cards from further use until borrowed materials have been returned.
Under the previous policy, a library card was blocked from further use when accumulated fees amounted to $25.00. With the new policy, that amount will drop to $10.00. The Library is also tightening the number of items being overdue that will block the card. That number will be reduced from 25 to 5 items.
Lori Caszatt, Communications and Development Manager, stated that the Library specifically chose February 14th as the launch date because it is Valentine’s Day.
We want to show our love and appreciation to library patrons for their continued support of our library. Going fine free is a great way to build an even stronger relationship with the people and communities we serve.
Beginning February 14, 2019, the following borrowing policies will go into effect:
- Fine free only applies to W-E Library items. Items borrowed from other libraries will be subject to the fine policy of the owning library.
- Amnesty will be granted for all existing W-E Library fines. These do not include bills associated with lost items, damaged items, or electronic devices.
- There is a $1.00 per day late fee on Launchpads and GoChips. There is a $5.00 per day late fee on hotspots and tablets.
- Items will be considered lost 21 days after they are due.
- Library cards with more than 5 items overdue will be blocked.
- Library cards will be blocked at $10.00.